Every piece of Ria's jewellery is made with care from precious metals and natural gemstones. Following are instructions on how to make your jewellery last a lifetime.
CARING FOR YOUR STERLING SILVER JEWELLERY
- Always protect your jewellery from sharp blows, scratching, chemicals, sunlight and heat/cold.
- Store your jewellery in a soft lined box or pouch with an anti tarnish strip. Try to keep pieces apart so they don't rub together.
- Your jewellery will age and tarnish naturally so if you want to keep your pieces in pristine condition, clean your jewellery regularly, using a professional jewellery cleaning product. Always read the manufacturers instructions.
- Be aware of tarnish which may occur as a result of oxidisation, caused by the interaction of silver or gold plated jewellery with certain elements such as oxygen or sulphur as well as with certain acids.
- Never go swimming wearing your jewellery, as chlorine in swimming pools can cause damage to all metals and will erode gold jewellery.
- Avoid wearing while cleaning, gardening or performing sports activities.
- Put them on last - meaning after you’re done applying lotion, makeup, hair styling product and perfume to protect them from these sometimes harsh chemicals.
CLEANING YOUR STERLING SILVER JEWELRY
- Clean them right after use by wiping off perspiration, makeup and other elements with a cotton cloth before putting them back in your jewelry box.
- Steer clear of household substitutes like ultrasonic cleaners, ammonia or other improvised chemical cleaners. They might do your sterling silver jewelry more harm than good.
- NEVER immerse antiqued finished (blackened effect) silver pieces or freshwater pearls in the silver cleaner. It will instantly strip the pieces of all finishes and this is irreversible.
Keep silver jewellery away from harsh chemicals like household cleaning fluids as they create abrasions and reduce the lustre of the metal. Cleaning silver jewellery is best done with a professional jewellery cleaning product. Thoroughly dry your silver jewellery after exposure to water.
A jewellery polishing cloth is one of the easiest way to keep your jewellery tarnish free
STORING YOUR STERLING SILVER JEWELLERY
DO NOT store your sterling silver jewellery on top of your dresser or bathroom vanities. Precious metals naturally oxidize when exposed to the air, and keeping it out in the open will accelerate the process. Can't stress this step enough.
Store your jewellery in a jewellery box where it is less likely to move around and get damaged. An anti-tarnishing lined jewellery box is ideal or simply wrap in acid free tarnish paper would work
These are but a handful of simple reminders and if you will apply them, they can make your favorite sterling silver jewelry last a long time.
Please do feel free to contact us is you have any queries or are unsure on the best way to look after you jewellery. We are more than happy to refinish your jewellery for you